Wordament – Find words in two minutes & compete against the Internet
One of the first games I tried on my new Nokia Lumia 920 is a game from Microsoft called Wordament. I took it for a spin, just because it was a preloaded game on the phone. Little did I suspect that point that I’d soon be hooked on this game. iOS users can also enjoy this game, since it’s available on iTunes as well.
Wordament is a simple enough game to start off with. You are presented with a 4 by 4 grid of alphabet tiles and you have to find words by sliding your fingers over letters which are adjacent to each other. Check the image below to see how the Game tiles look. Just moving your fingers over the letters PARING, selects and adds the word to the your list of words which you found.
Oh. Did I mention yet that you have just Two minutes to find as many words as you can? Wordament is also a real-time game which means players around the world are competing to find as many words as they can within that two minute time window. It’s quite easy to find around 10-15 words per game, but then that’s below par, since most of the times have upwards of 200 words which you can find with in the grid, some of the being real obscure words as well.
As soon as the time is up, you can then look at how many words you found, and how many you missed out on and tapping on the words in the list of words you didn’t find, shows you how you could have made those words on the grid. After that, you are taken to the word score screen, where the app shows you where you stand among all the other players online.
Being a Microsoft Xbox game, you can also sign in with your Xbox creds both on the Windows Phone and iOS versions of the app and have your achievements uploaded to your XBox account. It’s also free, so if you have a few minutes to spare, go get it. Fingers crossed that you don’t get addicted to the game like I did. Download links are available for Windows Phone and iOS right after a few tips to help you score better.
Wordament Tips for Scoring:
Just playing the game straight up may not help you get the best of scores, or the number of words you can find. Here are a few tips to help you score better and come higher up on the world ranking:
- Check the top of the tiles to see if there are any “Themes” for the game. Finding words based on those themes get you extra points.
- If you get to a point where you can seem to find any more words, touch the rotate icon at the botton right of the screen to rotate the tiles. Believe me this helps finding those extra words you missed out on.
- Two minutes is not a lot of time. Once you are immersed in the game, you’ll find yourself easily running out of time, so lock in those finds as soon as possible.
- Words with uncommon letters like (U,W,X, Z, Y) get you more points, so try finding as many words with these letters as you can.
- Find plurals of the words. In the grid above – RAT, RATS, RATE, RATES are all scoring words so get them all!
If you have more tips on how to score better on Wordament, do let us know by leaving a comment.
Windows Phone Store:
iTunes App Store: